Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Blog This Challenge 12 - Meet the Parents


This is a photo of my hubby and I with my Mum on our wedding day in October 2007. Mum was so excited about our wedding but unfortunately was feeling a bit off on the day. She was a trooper though and made it through the day with happy chats with everyone.

I always remember growing up when so many people thought my parents were actually my grandparents. My mum was 40 and my dad was 55 when I was born. Life was a little different for me I guess as my Dad had emphysema and that really limited him greatly throughout my childhood. Sadly he passed away when I was 17 and never got to see me get married or meet my children. I am glad that at least my Mum has had that opportunity.

Mum has recently gone into a nursing home as she has now developed mild dementia and it just wasn't safe for her to live in her unit alone any more. She also almost totally blind due to problems caused by her Diabetes.
Mum has always done her best throughout my life to give me a happy childhood and has always been there in some way for my children too.

I will never forget when I was in about Grade 2, the school had a halloween party (this was before Australia really even acknowledged Halloween lol). Anyway Mum made up a whole stack of toffees for the school party and came dressed all in black complete with a black witches hat. I have a photo of her somewhere on this computer but I can't lay my hands on it.

My parents have always been an inspiration to me. The went against the tide so to speak having me at an older age. I have 4 older brothers and the age gap between me and the youngest brother is 13 years. These days older mothers are common, 30-40 years ago they were a rarity lol. I am now 39 and still yearn for more children, but unfortunately my Hubby and I can't have any more. We will just get to spoil the grandchildren to bits when the kids have children lol!!

6 comments:

dixiebelle said...

What a wonderful mum! And a lovely post...

carly said...

great post!

Little mimoo said...

what a nice story! You all look lovely on your big day and it is no nice to hear how proud you obviously are of your parents being alot older than your friends when you were little, as I am sure alot of kids were not! :-)

Elissa said...

That is a lovely story and you looked stunning on your big day too!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely lovely post! I adore your dress!

39 is still young, maybe you could adopt?

I really love your blog!

OurGangof7 said...

Thank you for the lovely comments. I loved my dress too,,,,lol I left it right to the last minute to find it and had just 3 weeks until my wedding up my sleeve!! But it was perfect for what I wanted and didn't need any petticoat to be worn underneath.
We have thought about adoption and are weighing the idea up, although because we have 7 children between us that seems to be a bit of an issue when you are looking at overseas adoption but I haven't researched it thoroughly yet. It is a toss up between fulfilling the nagging "cluckiness" we feel for another little person to love and care for or just enjoying the rest of our lives together and knowing that ten years from now we will be free to more or less do as we please without the day to day responsibility of young children (well the youngest will be 17 so by then I at least hope that they will be a little self sufficient lol).....big decision!